Monday, July 4, 2016

Key Lime Cake with Buttercream Icing






This recipe was provided to me by a friend/coworker Heather. I love "key lime" and Heather brought me a slice to work one day back in 2009. I knew I had to have the recipe. The homemade icing is so good. It was easy to make and fun! We had it for company one evening and they loved it too.  Such a refreshing and fluffy cake.  Yum!  This was my cake above!

Key Lime Cake

1- (18.25 oz.) lemon or yellow cake mix

1- 3.5 oz. instant lemon pudding mix (dry)

4 large eggs

1/2 cup key lime juice (bottled)

1 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup water


Directions for Key Lime Cake:

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

2. Combine above ingredients and beat with electric mixer for 2-3 minutes.

3. Pour into prepared pans and bake for 45 minutes or until done. Cool for 10 minutes and turn out from pans.


Key Lime Buttercream Icing:

1 cup unsalted butter

1 cup Crisco

2 teaspoons real vanilla

1/4 teaspoon salt

8 cups powdered sugar

6 tablespoons key lime juice

 

Directions for Key Lime Buttercream Icing:

Beat butter and shortening together for about 5 minutes. Beat in vanilla and salt. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time alternating with the key lime juice.

Other: I happened to have a garnishing tool and so I garnished my cake with lime peel...and sliced the lime up into very thin slices and placed around the edge. You can be creative!

No comments: