Monday, July 4, 2016
1 package (6 oz) of white and wild rice mix
1/3 cup slivered almonds
4 cornish game hens (each 20 to 24 oz)
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
This recipe is for use in a clay pot cooker, but any covered roaster should work also.
1. If you have a clay pot, soak the top and bottom of it (at least a 4 3/4 quart cooker)
in water about 15 minutes and drain.
2. Cook rice mix according to package directions, using 1/4 cup less water; cook uncovered during last 5 minutes and stir in almonds.
3. Rinse hens and pat dry, reserving giblets for other use. Sprinkle hens inside and out with salt. Fill cavities with rice stuffing; close openings with small skewer. Place hens, breast sides up, in cooker.
4. Place covered cooker in cold oven. Set oven at 475 degrees. Bake until hens are tender and legs move easily, about 1 1/4 hours.
5. Heat honey, butter, mustard, curry powder and ginger in small saucepan stirring until melted and bubbly. Brush hens with honey glaze. Bake uncovered until shiny and dark brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove hens to serving platter. Skim and discard fat from cooking liquid; spoon over hens.
And then enjoy b/c it is sooo good!